Illinois is seeking it's fourth straight win in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge Wednesday, playing host to Georgia Tech.
Illinois (7-0) vs. Georgia Tech (4-1)
Champaign, Ill. - Assembly Hall (16,618)
Wednesday, 8 p.m. CST - ESPN2 (Bob Wischusen, PBP, Stephen Bardo, analyst)
Notes (from Tech sports information):
- Marcus Georges-Hunt was named ACC Rookie of the Week Monday, the first Tech freshmen to earn that honor since the 2009-10 season, when Derrick Favors won it four times and current senior Mfon Udoi a won it once.
- Tech’s most frequent starting lineup this season has been Mfon Udoi and Brandon Reed at the guard, Marcus Georges-Hunt and Robert Carter, Jr., at the forwards and Daniel Miller at center. Jason Morris started in place of GeorgesHunt against California.
- Tech has not played a game closer than nine points so far. Its four wins have come by an average of 14.8 points.
- Tech has held its opponents to 51.8 points per game, second-best in the ACC. The Yellow Jackets have held two opponents under 40 points, and yielded no more than 68 (68-57 loss to California).
- Tech’s opponents have shot 37.1 percent from the l oor collectively, second in the ACC. California had the best success rate at 44.2 percent. Tech’s three-point percentage yield (28.6 percent) is third-best in the ACC.
- Tech ranks second in the Atlantic Coast Conference in turnover margin and seventh in assist/turnover ratio after ranking last in those categories a year ago. The Yellow Jackets have a plus-2.8 turnover margin and a 1.1 assist/turnover ratio.
Series record: Illinois leads 6-1
Last meeting: No. 2 Illinois 105, Tech 66 (Nov. 23, 2001 - Las Vegas)
Series streak: Illinois W-4
Record at Champaign: Illinois W-1
Groce vs. Georgia Tech: First meeting
Mfon Udofia - G, Sr., 6-2, 195 pounds - 10.2 points, 2.6 rebounds
Brandon Reed - G, r-Jr., 6-3, 182 - 5.6 points, 3.8 rebounds
Marcus Georges-Hunt - G/F, Fr., 6-5, 218 - 11.4 points, 5 rebounds
Robert Carter, Jr. - F, Fr., 6-8, 245 - 8 points, 5.4 rebounds
Daniel Miller - C, r-Jr., 6-11, 258 - 5.6 points, 5.4 rebounds
Jason Morris - G/F, Jr., 6-5, 224 - 3.6 points, 3 rebounds
Chris Bolden - G, Fr., 6-3, 190 - 5.4 points, 1.8 rebounds
Notable quotable: "They're going to be physical. They're going to throw the ball inside. They're going to rebound the heck out of the ball. They're going to play with great toughness and energy.
"I like (Tech's) freshmen, and (Tech has) got a mixture of older guys and newer guys. He's got some veterans that return that give him some stability and contuinty." -- Illinois coach John Groce.